“Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord , and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.
Psalm 1:1-3 NIV
This Psalm is taking about what it means to be righteous. And it’s like being a tree, planted in living water. In the same way, if we are spending time with the Lord, we will become like him.
First, I read Psalm 1: 1-3 to Vale out of my Bible. Another option would be listening to Delight by Seeds Family Worship. They read the verse to music, which may be easier to listen to for some littles.
We scaled the tree illustration down a bit, and used flowers. But the object of this project is to show that the flowers become like what we drink from. In the same way, if we are spending time with God and his Word, we will become like him.
What you need:
- White flowers (like daisies, hydrangeas, or carnations)
- Food coloring
What you do:
- Drip 5-10 drops of desired food coloring into each cup (This can be a toddler job, depending on how brave you’re feeling).
- Pour water into cups (Again, this can be a toddler job).
- Cut stems of flowers with scissors or kitchen shears (probably should be an adult job, as even if your child is familiar with using scissors, cutting flowers can be a bit tricky).
- Place flowers in water cups, and leave overnight.
- The next day, check on your flowers, and see the lovely hues.
While you wait:
- Help your child name each color.
- Ask your child what they think will happen to the flowers sitting in colored water.
- To make this a true science experiment, leave a flower in plain water (a control) to be compared with the next day.
The Next Day:
- Help your child observe the flowers.
- Make note that the flowers turned the color of the water they were drinking.
- In the same way the flowers changed color, when we spend time with Jesus, we become more like him.