It’s World Love Wednesday! And through the month of August we will be learning about and praying for Cuba. Between watching the news and listening to the stories of Cuban Americans, my heart has been with this country, and we have been gently leading our littles to pray with us. Below you will find books and music for appreciating the Cuban culture, Cuban culinary artists to support, and ways to put our prayers into action in support of the Cuban people.
- ‘A Mango in the Hand‘ by Antonio Sacre: This is a beautiful story told in proverbs. A young boy is finally able to visit the mango grove by himself, but has trouble collecting the mangos. He repeatedly visits his father who continues to give him wisdom to finish out his journey.
- ‘The Dog Who Loved the Moon‘ by Cristina Garcia: A little girl’s new puppy longs for the moon. How will she help her furry friend?
- ‘La Cucharachita Martina‘: This is is the retelling of a classic Cuban folktale about Martina, the Beautiful Cockroach.
- ‘Martina the Beautiful Cockroach‘: An English version of the story mentioned above.
Cuban Kids Music
Putumayo Kids Presents Cuban Kids is a Kids album on Spotify featuring Cuban music for littles. Have a little dance party and celebrate the Cuban culture.
- Guavas Cuban Cafe: This Minneapolis restaurant is sooo delicious. Their Paella night is the perfect date night option. Best of all, they have a kids menu! Perfect for those of us bringing littles on our culinary adventures.
- Victor’s 1959 Cafe: This is by far my favorite date night spot. All of their food is delicious. They also have a fantastic brunch menu for when family comes to town.
- Key West Bistro: Okay, I admit, I have never been to this one. I just found out about it this week. However, if you know my love of coffee, you know it’s on my list! Cuba is known for it’s coffee, so how cannot I not have goals to support this local Cuban coffee shop?
- My Big Fat Cuban Family: This blog is full of Cuban family recipes. I have a list a mile long that I want to try. The best part, they have crackpot recipes! Who else loves their crockpot?
- Hungry Sofia: Just browsing her recipe list makes my mouth water. So many delicious options for any occasion. Pick a recipe and give it a go.
As we learn about Cuba, we have also been praying for the people there. I love to turn on some music while we pray, and this Alabanza Cubana album on Spotify is perfect. It’s full of praise music by Cuban Artists.
We are also looking for ways to put our prayers into action. How to Support the People of Cuba has some fantastic ways that us in the U.S. can support the Cuban people. A couple of ways that any of us can do is contact our representatives in regards to the issues facing the Cuban people, and ways lifting the embargo would help their cause. Another is donating Cellphone recharges. This helps Cuban reporters and advocates in Cuba keep the rest of the world up to date on what is going on.
Please pray with us, as we continue to see ways to love our Cuban neighbors well.