This play activity is for all of the oily mamas. I love essential oils! Mind you, I’m not a super oily mama. However, regularly adding a few drops of oil to a warm bath is a part of my self-care routine. As we’re nearing Christmas, I decided to whip up a sensory bath for my littles.
What is a Sensory Bath?
A sensory bath, much like a sensory bin, engages little one’s senses: sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch.
Frankincense and myrrh are two oils that are considered safe for children. Together they can be use to uplift moods, strengthen immune systems, and bring a sense of calm. Plus they smell fantastic together.
And what 3 items did the 3 Kings give to baby Jesus? Myrrh, frankincense, and GOLD! So of course we added some biodegradable glitter (specially made for bath time. This makes an awesome for sight.
And for touch, we have water, and a little baby Jesus we hid in our bath bomb (keep scrolling for the DIY).
DIY 3 Kings Bath for Kids
What you need:
–Gold eco glitter (make sure you get eco-glitter so that it’s biodegradable, and safe for skin).
-Star shapes (glow in the dark stars, star cookie cutters, foam stars, etc.)
-Cups and containers
What you do:
- Draw a bath for your little.
- Add 1-2 drops of each essential oil. Be careful not to add too much or the smell will be too strong.
- Add stars and containers. Then sprinkle glitter on top of the water.
- Read the story of the three kings while your little one plays.
When using essential oils in general, a little goes a long way. This is even more true with littles.
Also, frankincense and myrrh can be rather expensive. If you don’t have them on hand, chat with your local oil lady. They may have a deal on the oils, or be willing to give you a sample to try.
Another option is using lavender oil. One of my favorite oil blends is lavender and frankincense. Perfect for helping littles wind down right before bed. You can substitute lavender for one or both of the oils.
Also worth noting, that the glitter may stick to skin and walls of tub. My kids were BIG fans of this, but yours may not be. However, it should easily rinse-off with fresh water.
Another notes with the glitter is that a little goes a LONG way! Just a pinch is perfect. This keeps it safer for little bottoms and easier to clean up.
DIY 3 Kings Bath Bomb
Instead of bath salts, you could make a bath bomb! For extra fun hide a star toy or baby Jesus doll in the center.
What you need:
- 1 cup citric acid
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup melted or fractionated coconut oil
- 6-8drops essential oils
- Eco Glitter
- Small Jesus doll or star toy
What you do:
- In a bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Add essential oils.
- Wisk in coconut oil until all large lumps are broken up.
- Add eco glitter.
- Mold into bath bomb mold or cupcake pan. Hide small toy in the middle while you mold.
- Let mold rest for 5 minutes
- Turn out and let your bath bombs dry for at least 24 hours.
- Wrap up as a gift of enjoy for yourself.
DIY 3 Kings Bath Salts
Bath bombs seem a little hard. Try Bath Salts! Add the oils and glitter to Epsom salts. Pour into a cute Mason jar, attach a star with ribbon, and share the Christmas story with friends.