Jesus and his followers went to a wedding where they ran out of wine. This is where Jesus performed his first miracle, turning water into wine, and it was the best wine at the party (John 2:1-11). To play through this story, we did a simple science experiment.
What you need:
- Paper Towel
- Washable Marker
- Black Sharpie
What you do:
- Before devotions, draw a simple wine cup shape on the paper towel using the washable marker.
- Trace over the cup with black sharpie, covering all of the color.
- After reading the story, present the cup drawing and water.
- Allow child to pour water over drawing.
- The drawing should change color from white to the color of the market. Remind your child of the miracle of the water turning into wine.
The Water to Wine
The physical miracle was the water turning into wine. However I love what David Guzik comments that this miracle was the symbolism of something so much more. Salvation would no longer be found in the law. It would no longer be found in trying to live up to this golden standard, and when we failed sacrificing an animal in our place. Instead, God’s great plan was coming to completion. The Christ had come to atone for the world, and salvation would be found in him. Christ is the best wine. In his grace alone we find our hope.