“Mi Burrito Sabanero” (In English: “My Little Donkey”) is a favorite Christmas Carol here, and the basis for this fun Christmas game that teaches about all the movement that happened towards Bethlehem.
Luke 2:1-7 talks about Mary and Joseph traveling to Bethlehem. Luke continues in 8-14 talking about the shepherds coming into Bethlehem. Finally Matthew 2 talks about the Magi that came to Bethlehem to see the Christ child. The song Mi Burrito Sabanero sings about all this travelling to Bethlehem to see the King of Kings.
You can use this fun game to talk about the travels using different nativity Characters.
Simply read a part of the Christmas story, and then play the game with the coordinating Nativity Pieces.
Christmas Donkey, Mary, and Joseph: Luke 2:1-7
The Shepherds: Luke 2:8-14
The Magi: Matthew 2
What you need:
- Large sheet of paper (card stock or a piece of cardboard works well too.
- Dot stickers
- Permanent marker
- Nativity Donkey (or other Nativity Pieces).
Make the Game:
Using Dot stickers, make a path on the piece of paper. Using a permanent marker, on one end of the paper write start. On the other side write Bethlehem.
Play the Game:
- Put Donkey at start.
- Roll die and count the dots. Move donkey that many spaces.
- Repeat until donkey has reached Bethlehem.
- With multiple children, have them take turns rolling the die and moving the donkey. Or you can add competition letting each child pick a piece of the Nativity and race to Bethlehem.