We’ve all seen those beautiful sensory bins on Pinterest with the brightly colored rice. Heck, I even use them on this blog. You can buy colored rice on Amazon for $5-$10. But the truth is it’s only pennies to make, and so easy you’re toddler can help.
What you need:
- 1 cup rice
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 10-12 drops of food coloring
- Plastic ziploc bag
- Wax paper
- Baking sheet
- Pour 1 cup of rice into plastic bag (I have my toddler help with this, using those scooping and pouring skills).
- Add the vinegar and food coloring. Seal bag.
- Shake until all rice is coated (this is another step my toddler loves to help with).
- Line baking sheet with wax paper. Pour rice on to wax paper and let dry for about 1 hour.
- Play with your rice or store for later.